Smothered Shredded Beef Chimichangas with Spanish Rice
(Recipe by Jim Starks)
1 2-pound beef round rump roast
1 medium onion, diced
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 10oz can red enchilada sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
8 flour tortillas
1 14-oz box instant rice
oil for deepfrying
green chili sauce, for smothering
1. Cut roast into several smaller chunks
2. In a large pot with a lid, brown the beef pieces on their surfaces.
3. Add the diced onion and the 4oz can of green chilies to the pot, along with the can of enchilada sauce, and about 3 cups of water. Add chili powder and cumin. Season with a bit of salt & pepper.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 3 hours. Stir once during the cooking.
5. Remove pot from heat, and remove the chunks of beef to a plate, using tongs.
6. Let the beef cool slightly on a plate, and then trim off and discard fat.
7. Using hands, rip the chunks of beef into fine shreds.
8. Skim the excess grease off the top of the liquid.
9. Using a slotted spoon, remove most of the onion and green chilies from the pot of liquid.
10. Toss the onion & green chilies evenly into the shredded beef.
11. Heat deepfryer to 350°F.
12. Gently warm tortillas, 4 at a time, wrapped in paper towels in microwave, to soften.
13. Wrap 1/8 of the shredded beef in each tortilla, folding edges in carefully and fastening with a toothpick.
14. Fry chimichangas, two at a time, for about 4-5 minutes or until light golden brown. They will want to roll over to one side. In order to cook them on both sides, it works best if you place them UNDER the basket of the deepfryer. This holds them under the oil, so they'll cook on all sides.
15. Remove chimichangas from deepfryer with tongs, and drain on a wire rack. Remove the toothpicks.
16. Bring liquid to a boil.
17. Stir the 14oz box of instant rice into the pot of liquid, cover tightly, and remove from heat. Let set for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
18. In a medium sauce pan, heat up the green chili sauce.
19. Place a chimichanga on a plate, with a serving of the rice. Smother with green chili sauce and top with shredded cheese.
20. Put plate in oven for a moment, to melt the cheese... and then serve.