1 pound bulk Italian sausage
Italian Sausage Sandwiches
8 hamburger buns
1 small can tomato paste
1. Form sausage into 8 patties, and cook in a skillet on medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, stir together tomato paste with a dash each of the oregano, fennel seed, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
3. Open up the hamburger buns and place all 16 bun halves on baking sheets, with the cut sides facing up.
4. Spread a layer of tomato paste on the upper surface of each of the bottom bun halves.
5. Slice the mozzarella into 8 portions.
6. When sausage patties are browned on the bottom, flip over, continue cooking, and top each one with sliced mozzarella. If necessary, place a lid over the skillet to help melt the cheese.
7. Place the buns under a broiler, just until they are slightly toasted.
8. When the cheese is melted on the sausage patties, assemble the sandwiches and serve.