2 Vidalia onions, cut into 1/4" thick slices
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp dry potato flakes
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup cold beer
2 cups panko bread crumbs
oil for frying
1. Separate onions into rings. Shake in a bag with 1 Tbsp flour, dump out onto a plate.
2. Whisk flour, corn starch, potato flakes, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Whisk in beer. Let sit for 15 minutes. (It will thicken as the potato flakes hydrate.)
3. Coat rings with batter, a few at a time. Hang them on a long skewer across the top of the bowl to allow excess batter to drip off for a minute or so.
4. Toss the batter-coated rings, a few at a time, in a bowl with panko bread crumbs and transfer to a waxed paper lined baking sheet.
5. Deep fry rings at 350°F for 2-3 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Sprinkle with seasoned salt.