6 cups chicken broth
Hot & Sour Soup
1 Tbsp chili paste with garlic *
2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup bamboo shoots, julienned
1/4 cup dried black fungus, soaked & julienned
6oz firm tofu, drained & cut into 1/4"x1/4"x1" pieces
3 Tbsp corn starch
3 Tbsp water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp MSG
1 tsp sesame oil
1. Bring broth to a simmer in a 4-quart pot.
2. Add soy sauce and chili paste. Stir, and then simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add white & black pepper, vinegar, bamboo shoots, fungus, and tofu. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Mix corn starch with water, and stir into pot.
5. Pour beaten egg over surface. Let stand for 10 seconds, and then stir in sesame oil & MSG.
* You may want to use a little less chili paste, if you don't like really spicy foods.