(Recipe by Jim Starks)
Green Chili Sauce (Improved Recipe)
2 Tbsp bacon fat (or vegetable oil)
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
5 cups chicken broth
2 4oz cans diced green chilies
1 4oz can sliced jalapenos
1 10oz can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes & green chilies
1 tsp hot Mexican style chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ancho chili pepper
1/4 tsp chipotle chili pepper
8 Tbsp flour
8 Tbsp water
1. In a large pot, cook onions in bacon fat over medium heat, until transparent.
2. Add garlic, stir & cook just until garlic is fragrant, then pour in chicken broth.
3. Add undrained green chilies, jalapenos, and Ro-tel.
4. Stir in chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, oregano, ancho chili, and chipotle chili.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 3 hours.
6. About half an hour before serving, shake flour & water in a jar. Slowly pour the flour/water mixture into the sauce, stirring continuously, until thickened to desired consistency.
7. Let the sauce simmer another 15 minutes, stirring often, until the raw flour taste is gone.
Good for smothering burritos, chimichangas, etc.