1. Peel and cut 3 large potatoes into long pieces roughly 1/4" square. Submerge pieces in cold water to keep fresh.
Battered French Fries
Recipe by Jim Starks
2. In a bowl, whisk 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 cup ice water, 1 egg, and salt & pepper to season.
3. Dip potatoes in batter. Shake off excess against side of bowl. Drop in a 350° deepfryer, one at a time, keeping them separate as much as possible. Do not fry more than one potato worth of fries at a time.
4. A minute or two into the frying, use a fork to separate any fries that are stuck together.
5. When golden brown, remove french fries to a wire rack to drain.