1 piece thin beef cubed steak
Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy
salt & pepper
1. Beat the egg in a large flat bowl.
2. On a large plate, mix flour with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, and a bit of onion powder and garlic powder.
3. Add a few drops of milk to the flour, and mix it with hands, to form some of the flour into larger crumbs.
4. Fill a large frying pan with oil, about 1/4 inch deep. Heat oil to about 375°F
5. Place steak in a plastic bag, and flatten it thoroughly with a heavy meat mallet.
6. Coat the steak thoroughly in the flour mixture.
7. Dip steak into egg, coating it thoroughly.
8. Coat the steak again with the flour mixture.
9. Place the steak in the oil. It should be hot enough to sizzle loudly.
10. When the bottom is browned, flip the steak over, to cook the second side.
11. When steak is cooked, remove it to a plate lined with paper towels, and place it in a low oven, to keep it warm.
12. Pour out most of the oil from the pan, leaving a couple tablespoons behind. Be sure to leave all the brown bits in the pan.
13. Add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the pan, stir it into the oil, and cook for a couple minutes over medium heat.
14. While stirring constantly, pour about a cup of cold milk into the pan. Keep stirring, to avoid lumps.
15. When gravy has thickened to desired consistency, season with a bit of salt & coarse black pepper, and remove from heat.
16. Remove paper towel from under the steak, and spoon the gravy over the top of it.