(Chicken prepared in the style of chicken-fried steak)
Chicken-Fried Chicken with Gravy
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
salt & pepper
1. Beat the egg in a large flat bowl.
2. On a large plate, mix flour with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, and a bit of onion powder and garlic powder.
3. Add a few drops of milk to the flour, and mix it with hands, to form some of the flour into larger crumbs.
4. Fill a large frying pan with oil, about 1/4 inch deep. Heat oil to about 375°F
5. Trim chicken breast.
6. Place chicken in a plastic bag, and flatten it thoroughly with a heavy meat mallet.
7. Coat the chicken breast thoroughly in the flour mixture.
8. Dip chicken into egg, coating it thoroughly.
9. Coat the chicken breast again with the flour mixture.
10. Place the chicken in the oil. It should be hot enough to sizzle loudly.
11. When the bottom is browned, flip the chicken over, to cook the second side.
12. When chicken breast is cooked, remove it to a plate lined with paper towels, and place it in a low oven, to keep it warm.
13. Pour out most of the oil from the pan, leaving a couple tablespoons behind. Be sure to leave all the brown bits in the pan.
14. Add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the pan, stir it into the oil, and cook for a couple minutes over medium heat.
15. While stirring constantly, pour about a cup of cold milk into the pan. Keep stirring, to avoid lumps.
16. When gravy has thickened to desired consistency, season with a bit of salt & coarse black pepper, and remove from heat.
17. Remove paper towel from under the chicken breast, and spoon the gravy over the top of it.