6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, diced
1 10oz can diced tomatoes & green chilies in tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 19oz can red enchilada sauce
3 cups grated cheddar & monterrey jack
1. Add chicken breasts, diced onion, tomatoes & green chilies, garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin to a 4-quart kettle. Add enough water to cover the chicken.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low & simmer for 2 hours.
3. Remove the chicken from the kettle and cool on a large plate.
4. Shred the chicken by hand. Strain the vegetables out of the pot and toss them into the shredded chicken.
5. Pour out all but 1 cup of the liquid from the pot. Heat and thicken with a slurry of 1 tsp corn starch & cold water. This makes a gravy-like substance to toss with the shredded chicken, to keep it from being too dry.
6. Lightly fry 24 corn tortillas in a small skillet with oil, about 5 seconds per side. Stack tortillas on a plate lined with paper towels.
7. Wrap a small amount of chicken in each corn tortilla and then place them in a 13x9" baking dish, packing them in tightly.
8. Pour the can of enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas and top with the grated cheese.
9. Bake the enchiladas for 30 minutes at 350°F.